top of page

United States Invasion of Grenada 1983

The United States invasion of Grenada, codenamed Operation Urgent Fury, took place from October 25 to October 29, 1983. The invasion was prompted by concerns over the safety of American citizens on the Caribbean island nation, as well as fears of the island becoming a Soviet-Cuban base. The events leading up to the invasion included a military coup in Grenada, which resulted in the overthrow and execution of Prime Minister Maurice Bishop.

On October 25, 1983, U.S. forces, along with troops from several Caribbean nations, landed in Grenada to restore order and ensure the safety of American citizens, who were mainly medical students studying on the island. The operation faced resistance from Grenadian and Cuban troops, leading to combat in various locations. The U.S. forces managed to secure the island, and by October 29, the majority of resistance had been quelled.

Significant persons involved in the invasion included U.S. President Ronald Reagan, who ordered the intervention, and General Norman Schwarzkopf, who commanded the Joint Task Force during the operation. The invasion drew both support and criticism, with some seeing it as a necessary step to protect American citizens and curb potential Soviet influence, while others viewed it as an overreach of U.S. power. The invasion marked a notable episode in the Cold War's history and raised debates about the extent of U.S. intervention in foreign affairs.

The timeline of events during the US Invasion of Grenada (1983):

October 25, 1983

The Marxist government of Grenada, led by Prime Minister Maurice Bishop, faced internal strife and power struggles, resulting in Bishop's execution by his political rivals.

October 25-28, 1983

Concerned about the safety of American citizens and the spread of Cuban influence, the United States launched Operation Urgent Fury, a military intervention aimed at restoring order and protecting American lives in Grenada.

October 25-29, 1983

US forces, along with troops from the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and the United Kingdom, conducted a successful military operation to secure key sites in Grenada, including the capture of the main airport.

October 30, 1983

US forces continued to face resistance from Grenadian and Cuban military units, but they managed to secure control of the island and begin restoring order.

December 15, 1983

After securing the situation in Grenada, US forces and the Caribbean peacekeeping contingent began a phased withdrawal from the island.

bottom of page